Monday, December 13, 2010

When I Grow Up.....

December 13: Action. When it comes to aspirations, it's not about ideas. It's about making ideas happen. What's your next step? (author: Scott Belsky)

"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead." ~ Louisa May Alcott



That has been one of my favorite quotes ever since I was in High School. Unlike Louisa, my highest aspirations aren't out in the sunshine, they are stored in a box high up on a  shelf in the closet of my mind (I don't have an actual closet that I could store them in proper at my house). Being a planner, it always strikes me as peculiar that I didn't have a plan for my life. I had an idea about my life. I knew what I wanted to do with it. Kind of. Obviously my life hasn't quite worked out in the way that I thought it might, but I have come to the realization over the past bunch of years, that it has worked out just how it should have. I am happy with where I have come, and what I am doing. In the depths of my mind I do dream about going on to further my education and getting the piece of paper that says that I can make more money. I won't lie about that. The continuing Ed. catalog comes from the College and I flip through and think of which classes I would sign up for, look at when they meet and see if that fits into my crazy life, and wonder about the teachers. Then I get to the back page where they tell you how much it costs for a 4 credit class, and it quietly goes into the recycle bin. It's not for a lack of wanting, or dreaming.. it's a lack of funding. With two teens, one whom will be a Junior in H.S. next year, my going back to school just isn't realistic. Plus, we only have the one car, so it's not very practical either. I was talking to someone at school just the other day about online classes, but the local college doesn't offer a great variety of online classes for educators that you can get credit for. Our district will reimburse us a certain amount of money per year for classes, and if there's money left over due to people not using it, they will reimburse more in the spring. It's just the initial up front part that's hard. It's certainly something to think about.

No comments: