Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Name Game




December 23: New Name. Let's meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why? (author: Becca Willcot)

I hated my name when I was growing up. When I was at school, and starting a new grade with a teacher, and we did attendance for the first time,  there was always a discussion that went like this, "Beth xxxx".  "Here". "Is your whole name Elizabeth?" "No." "Bethany?" "No." "What is it then?" "Just plain Beth." :: big heavy sigh here ::  Even now, when I give my name as Beth, sometimes I get, "Legal name?".. that is my legal name. If I'm giving you my name for something important, and it was more than just Beth, don't you think I'd tell you?!? Arrrggg. Anyhow, that was then.


I asked my mom once why they named me Beth. She told me that her and my dad had a heck of a time picking a name for me. She wanted to name me Jennifer (ugh, no offense if you are one, but I was always glad I wasn't). Dad said no, it reminded him of someone he knew in college. She threw out a few more names, with similar results. He wanted to name me Elizabeth, as it was a family name on his side and all the women had it somewhere in there name, either first, middle or a version. She said no, she wasn't naming me after his mother. Eventually they settled on Beth. I used to feel sad about this. My name was just settled on. I knew what name I wanted for my daughter long before she was ever even conceived. I was settled on. How sad. 

Over the years since then, I've come to love my name. It's not as common as some names, and it's not off the wall, and it fits me. When you look up Beth on one of those name finder things, it tells you that it is English, and means God is my Oath. I actually have a card in my bible that has the verse that goes along with it, and it's very pretty. If I could pick another name for myself, even for one day, I don't think that I would. I'm happy being just plain Beth.

No comments: