Monday, December 06, 2010

She's a Crafty Thing

December 6: Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but need to clear some time for? (author: Gretchen Rubin)

I've been trying to make time each week to at least make SOMETHING, and finish it. I've got an uncanny knack for starting projects, especially knitting ones that take a long time, and then moving on to something new and exciting before they are finished. In fact, one of my 2011 goals is going to be to finish at least half of my old projects before I start any new ones. Just last night, I made another project for the sewing class I signed up for over the summer. This was actually supposed to be the third project I made, but I skipped over it to make a set of bibs for each of my nieces. When I first signed up for the class, I wrote down the supplies for the first 3 or 4 projects, and after lunch with some friends, went fabric shopping. One of my friends came with me, as the store was having a "going out of business sale", and  as I pondered whether or not I liked this fabric, mentioned that she really loved it. She doesn't sew, so I made a show of saying that I liked it too, and I thought I'd get it for one of my projects. This was the first sewing project I did, where I felt like I really knew what I was doing. I didn't have to rip out any seams. I didn't get frustrated with any part of it. I hemmed all the raw edges on my own, as I went which wasn't part of the instructions, and I'm tickled with how it came out. I also knit her a pair of fingerless gloves, and have to come up with a clever way to wrap it them up.

No comments: