Tuesday, December 14, 2010

In The Quiet and Calm..

December 14: Appreciate. What's the one thing you've come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it? (author: Victoria Klein)

This question seems like it could lend itself to a lot of hokey answers: my husband, who's stepped up to the plate in more ways than I can list this year; my health, which I am truly blessed and grateful for when so many around me a sick with cancer and other awful things; my job, which is getting a little stressful due to some school board decisions... and so on and so forth. But all of those things, while I am grateful for and appreciate them... aren't what I'm most appreciative of. 

The ONE thing I've come to appreciate most this year... is the quiet time I have every morning when I get up. In late spring I started getting up at 5am so that I could go running before work and beat out the heat of the afternoon and the exhaustion I was feeling. I continued on with this, as I've discovered that I really enjoy the peace and quiet of being the only one up. The house is quiet, and I can be alone to think, or craft, or read or listen to music that *I* want to hear... or just sit and be. It doesn't matter what I choose to do, because there is no one there to bother me. No one who has a complaint, or a problem that needs solving, or is in need of my attention in some manner or another, I've enjoyed watching the sun come up, birds play in the yard, watching snow fall that was done by the time others awoke... more things than I could really even list here. It has been a huge blessing to have that time every morning.. something I didn't even know that I needed until I had it.

No comments: