Thursday, December 16, 2010

You've Got a Friend...

December 16: Friendship. How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst? (author: Martha Mihalick)

I have been blessed with an amazing friendship over the past several years with a person whom I never would have "picked" as a friend for myself. Not that I didn't think this person would be a good friend, or was a great person.. but at this age in my life, I had resigned myself to having "old friends" and "people I know from work or around town".


Old friends are the people I have known for  a long time, people whom I was friends with in HS or after, and have stayed in touch with after all these years. A few are what I would call "good friends", and some are just "old friends".  "People I know from work or around town" is pretty self explanatory.  The people I know from work are obviously the ones I spend the most time with, and talk to on a regular basis about life and family and whatever.. but I don't know that I would go so far to label many of them "good friends." There is defiantly one who is a good friend.. and a few more who are better friends than the rest but that's about it. Making new friends, especially good friends, just didn't seem likely anymore. Isn't that for youth??

A few years ago, however, I made an acquaintance through a town obligation, that has since developed into a wonderful relationship.  Making new friends as an adult takes a lot of work. You have to be committed to investing the time to do so. Thankfully she was of the same mindset, and needed to have a good friend as she was new to town, and spent the effort to make it work when I might not have because of being busy with life and kids and work. She pushes me out of my comfort zone in areas of my life that need a little change. She has a sense of adventure when I might be OK to stay in what's known and safe. She has taught me how to be a better friend, and has been my sounding board when my life has been a white, hot mess. I am blessed to have her in my life, and feel lucky to call her my friend.

No comments: